After their media trial and a million dollar sentence, the ex-partner has found a point of agreement, as the actress herself has explained

Image Source - Google | Image by-flickr

The American actress Amber Heard has announced that she has reached an agreement in the trial that faced her ex-partner Johnny Depp for defamation, to which she filed an appeal after being convicted. "After much deliberation, I have made the very difficult decision to reach an agreement in the defamation case filed against me by my ex-husband," Heard, who was married to the actor from 2015 to 2017, announced on Instagram. and has not given more details about the resolution of the case.


The Pirates of the Caribbean star accused Heard of defaming him in a 2018 op-ed she wrote for The Washington Post . The jury ordered Heard to pay Depp $10 million in compensatory damages and $5 million in punitive damages. This second amount was later reduced to $350,000. The court also awarded Heard 2 million in compensatory damages, as she filed a cross-complaint against Depp also for defamation. Now media such as The Mirror and The Daily Mail have published that the figure for which an agreement has been signed is one million dollars, which the actress will pay to her ex.



The trial, in which both were accused of assault, became a media circus. The actress appealed the decision on December 7, since according to her defense numerous errors occurred during the process, such as the court refusing to admit as evidence several communications between her and some doctors. "For too many years I have been trapped in an arduous and expensive legal process that has failed to protect me and my right to free speech. I cannot afford to risk paying an impossible bill, a which is not only financial, but also psychological, physical and emotional," he posted on Instagram. When she was sentenced it already transpired that Heard did not have the money to pay the restitution.



In his message he makes it clear that he has always defended his truth and that, in doing so, his life as he knew it "has been destroyed". "Now I finally have a chance to free myself from a situation I tried to leave behind more than six years ago, and to do so on terms I can accept. I have made no concessions . There are no restrictions or gags regarding my voice in the future," says the star of films such as Justice League (2017) and Aquaman (2018).


Heard says that even if his appeal trial had ended in his favor, the process would have involved him going through a new trance, which he does not see himself able to endure a third time. "By reaching an agreement, I also choose the freedom to devote my time to what helped me heal after my divorce," says the performer, who affirms that she does not regret having taken the step of publicly denouncing what happened: "My voice remains the most valuable asset I have."